Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Aug 2005 03:06:24 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Negligent mechanic?
Comments: To: eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM

I'm not saying the guy is a mechanic. Sounds like shoddy work. But my experience with trying to bolt up used headers to another engine is a real PIA. Although maybe bolting up even new headers is a PIA because of the pancake engine. I guess on, say an in-line 4--it's one flat surface to another. On the pancake you have, let's say, the flat exhaust port on one side then the pipe connecting around to the other flat port on th eother side. It leaves a lot of room for not an exact snug fit.

I mean of course thousands have been done. But the point is it's not such an easy straight forward job. Add to that broken studs and the whole thing is a mess.

I guess the point is you really need a vanagon-specific mechanic and for that you probably need to pay and drive a bit.

Having said that, a crooked stud is the sign of a butcher. But if the exhaust is sealed you're should be at least good til the next exahust. Mine was crossthreaded by the installing "mechanic" of the previous owner. I hate to look at it, but it has kept the exhaust seal for about 6 years.

As for the rest of the stuff the prybar etc. find another mechanic for the future. I didn't get if other listees specifically recommended this mechanic to you or just said something like "a local mechanic can do it." Either way, don't take their advice in the future. Probably shouldn't take mine either. But you need someone who is vanangon specific or you'll be disappointed every time.

Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA