Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Aug 2005 01:13:09 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Negligent mechanic?
Comments: To: Taobythesea@aol.com

With all due respect my mom could replace the muffler and cat--I'd even let her throw on a tailpipe to show I trust her. I'm sure your local mechanic did great.

When you let them replace the headers and deal with the aluminum heads, ill-fitting headers with relativly unmatched surfaces, and redrilling broken studs let us know how they do.

I agree the "mechanic" who started the ire that started this thread was a butcher. But the poor guy who's Vanagon suffered suffered because some of you all allegedly advised him any "good" local mechanic could do the work!

My contention is yes, let them change the muffler and cat. All you need is an IQ of about 40, 13mm wrench, safety goggles, and a hacksaw. The headers are a whole different animal and a real PIA IMHO.

My advice is still if you're replacing headers find someone who is a Vanagon Specific mechanic or you too will be writing to the list with disappointment. It's a pricey job, but not as pricey as the headache and cost of getting it fixed after its been messed up, poorly drilled, and banged on by some mechanic turned butcher.

Having said all that, in my opinion the one sign a mechanic is good enough to replace the headers on a Vanagon is him shaking his head saying he won't do it. That's a guy who understands what's involved.

(my mom's IQ is higher than 40. Mine, judging by the Vanagon in the driveway, probably isn't)

Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA