Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Aug 2005 19:10:59 -0700
From:         Gary Bawden <mrarachnid@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Fuel tank adventure (long)

Greetings vanagonauts,

I just completed removing and replacing the fuel tank in my '85 Wasserboxer for the second time in the last two months, so I've got a pointer or two. The fuel pump had been making noise ever since I bought Hector late last spring. Finally burned up the fuel pump on a trip to Las Vegas in early July, so when I got home I pulled out the tank and washed it out thoroughly (or so I thought). It's still been humming, but seemingly to a lesser extent. Anyway, faced with an upcoming trip next weekend, I pulled it out again this afternoon, and tried washing it out again with water. Still nothing came out! Finally poured in a pint of methyl alcohol (Heet), swished it around, drained it, and poured in another pint of alcohol. This time while swishing the tank around, I heard something rolling around inside the tank! Got it to come out of the filler neck hole, and upon inspection, found what appeared to be a piece of sandy clay, the proper size to clog the fuel line. My theory is, water alone wouldn't get it out - - the alcohol dehydrated the clay, which probably allowed it to shrink and detach itself. So to make a long story short, put the tank back in, poured in some gas, and no more fuel pump hum! About the fuel tank R&R procedure, here is what I found: Get a Rope Ratchet (a device available at most FLAPS, used for holding down light cargo) and hook it under the fuel tank prior to removing the straps. Makes for a much more controlled one-person procedure, especially when you go to re-install the tank. Just get the edge of the tank up on the cross-member lip, and tighten up the rope ratchet. Really helps! Also, when trying to pull out the filler neck, use some gloves - - your thumb will thank you! And as for those grommets, I put them in the tank first, lightly grease them, and after the tank is all the way up and the steel straps bolted back on, then I reach in behind the wheel well and just pop the nylon barb fittings into the grommets. Time today, including my somewhat long wash-out procedure, about 2 1/2 hrs. Worst part (as always), is crawling about in the gravel. Anyhow, please excuse the length of this posting, but hopefully someone will find it inspiring!

Gary Goldfield, NV

Anna, Annabelle, and Hector ('82 Diesel, '85 Wasserboxers)

____________________________________________________ Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs