Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:44:14 -0600
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.UALBERTA.CA>
Subject:      Re: How much fuel efficiency gained by shedding 300 lbs?

How much fuel you save depends if you drive stop-and-go in the city or at a relatively constant speed in the country. In the former case those extra 300lbs will have to be accelerated each time you go. This costs energy. In the latter case the 300lbs is only accelerated once (or a few times), and the only extra energy needed would be the minimal increase in rolling resistance from the 300lbs (assuming it's inside the van of course, a trailer would add a (little) air and rolling resistance, likewise would a box on the roof rack).

An upper limit to the increase in fuel consumption would be 300lbs/4000lbs = 7.5%

This assumes all energy is used for stop-and-go accelerations. Might be close to true if you drive agressively in rush hour.

For country driving my guess is that it would affect fuel exonomy less than one percent. Maybe much less.

During my time on the east coast I used to tow trailer with a Hobie 18, a couple canoes and 2 months supplies from NYS to Everglades FL twice yearly. Those days I still had the original 48hp Diesel. Worked fine despite the small engine and there was no dramatic increase in fuel consumption.

Cheers, Martin