Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Aug 2005 23:32:01 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Automatic Trans. problems; Advice Needed!

Cary,

I don't know what you know about Vanagon auto trannies, so forgive me if I talk about things you are already aware of.

To check the level of the ATF, the van should be driven at least 20 miles to make sure it's really warm then the level should be checked with the engine running and in neutral or park.

It's possible for the diff oil to leak out slowly without leaking into the auto trannie part. It happened to me.

BTW ... a P mail to you bounced saying your mail box is over quota.

Mike '84 GL 7 pass auto '85 GL Westy 4 spd

Cary Chiang wrote: > Hello Listees: > A few months ago I bought an in-expensive '90 Vanagon, which had > some known engine issues, and very little known about its prior > mechanical history, other than it had not been driven or registered > for several years. The previous owner said that it was being > started and moved in and out of his shop every day for maybe 2 > months, for parking purposes. I simply got it started long enough > to drive it up onto my trailer, got it home, reversed it back off > of the trailer, and around the yard. It seemed to shift and work > properly in drive and reverse. I let the van sit for about 2 > months. Last week I started working on the van, to get it running > well enough to pass the state safety inspection this month > (beginning next month all vehicles have to pass a $$ smog sniffer > test, and I don't want to deal with that if I can help it). > Anyway, I was surprised when the van would not shift into reverse. > After many tries, I eventually got it to engage, but not reliably. > The 3 forward drive gears seem to engage fine. I checked the ATF > level on the dipstick, and found the level to be very high, about > 5.5 inches above the "cold" level. I checked the differential > fluid level, by sticking my pinky finger into the fill hole, but > could not detect any fluid at all (could be 1.5 inches or more low > on fluid). Bentley says that the seal between the transmission and > the differential is likely eaking. I drained the ATF fluid, and it > looks "normal" red. > > QUESTIONS-- > Are there any other possibilities for the high ATF fluid level, and > low diff. fluid levels, besides the leaking seal? > > If the seal is leaking, would the differential fluid have leaked > into the transmssion with the van parked for the last few months, > or does fluid transfer mainly take place only when the trans. / > differential is operating? > > Assuming the seal is the culprit, and not knowing how far the van > may have been driven in this condition, what are the chances that > the transmission may have already suffered permanent damage? > > I really don't have the time to investigate & replace the seal > before the end of this month, and I really want to drive the van > about 20 miles to get that safety inspection sticker. If I refill > the ATF fluid and diff. fluid levels to their proper levels, and > the reverse gear begins work again, what are the chances of my > damaging the transmission by driving it 20-30 miles with the > leaking seal? > > Any advice or suggestions from listees who have experience with > Vanagon auto transmissions & leaking seals is greatly appreciated. > Thanks in advance! > > Cary >