Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Aug 2005 06:01:39 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      woodruff key or not woodruff key that is the question
Comments: To: THX0001@AOL.COM

I have taken the fan assembly off of thirty or fourty Vanagon alternators over the years. Most of them (probably 90-95%) never had a woodruff key on the shaft. I am talking about something that George likes to talk about. OE VW factory (with the high priestly anointing just for good measure) alternator that never had a woodruff key. In fact the 5% I am remembering may be from swapping alternators on Rabbits or Jettas. As long as you take the pulley and fan off the old one and swap it over to the new one in with the parts in the same order you will be fine. Also when you get a rebuilt alternator you want a Bosch AL27X not a AL33X. They will both work on the Vanagon and both are 90 amp units, but the AL27X is a direct replacement which the 33X you have to fiddle with to make work. Hope this helps.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com