Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:59:27 -0400
From:         Christopher Gronski <gronski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Newfoundland trip advice please...
Comments: To: Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@yahoo.com>

I didn't even think there was a road from Labrador back through Quebec (other than the jog into Blan Sablon of course), it is not on the major maps. I might have planned to take it had I known it existed. I think its gravel though so good luck with your paint... That said for the sake of the archives here is the route I would have taken had I known at the time:

- Depart Sydney on Newfoundland Ferry bound for Argentia, booking the ferry WELL in advance in order to get a cabin. Plan an overnight passage so I can sleep on the ferry so that it does not seem like a 19 hour trip.

- Drive to St. John's, see Signal Hill & the Harbor fort (don't remember the name), get screeched in on George Street, spend the night stealth camping at Cape Spear (the washrooms were even open all night when we stopped there although that just might have been someone forgetting to lock them

- From St. John's to Mount Pearl for a couple days visiting Woody Island. Possibly an interim trip to Terra Nova National Park

- From Mount Pearl to Dildo Run / Twillingate with a stop in Gander at the avation musuem.

- From Dildo Run to Gross Morne National Park. Stopping at that wrecked boat off TCH (north of GM - I can't remember the name of it).

- From Terra Nova to St. Anthony (leaving eraly enough in the season that I was guaranteed iceburgs at St. Anthony. Side trip to L'Anse aux Meadows (possibly for some stealth camping?)

- Short double back to St. Babe and take the frerry to Blanc Sablon

- Blanc Sablon to Cartwright (possibly leaving the van for a few days for a side trip up the coast to destinations like Postville, Hopedale, and Nain)

- Ferry through the inland waterway from Cartwright to Goose Bay

- Goose Bay to Churchill falls (tour of the electrical generating facility of possible)

- Chruchill Falls to Labrador City

- Labrador City to Baie Comeau Quebec.

- Baie Comeau to Quebec City for some Goat cheese Crepes

Of course I would need more than just six days...

Chris

On 8/24/05, Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@yahoo.com> wrote: > We're in Halifax, if you get back this way we can offer you a driveway for camping (Ph.457-9499). > > BUT, IMHO you are much better off finishing your trip by going back through Labrador from > Newfoundland. > > Here are my (&other's) posts regarding this Quebec-Labrador-Newfoundland-Nova Scotia loop trip. I > describe it in clockwise direction, so you'll have to read it backwards: > > http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0202D&L=vanagon&P=R18700 > http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0301A&L=vanagon&P=R5959 > http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0301A&L=vanagon&P=R13184 > http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0301A&L=vanagon&P=R13441 > http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0301D&L=vanagon&P=R10684 > http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0202D&L=vanagon&P=R22039 > > Remember that the first 10 feet or so of shoreline in all of Newfoundland is public property and > one can 'stealth camp' nearly anywhere along the shore. Check first though. Malcolm > > --- "paullist@guzyk.com" <paullist@GUZYK.COM> wrote: > > > Anyway, any Newfies or previous visitors out there who can give us some > > advice as to what to see, where to camp etc? We only have about 5 or 6 > > days but want to have a memorable time here. > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > http://mail.yahoo.com >