Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:38:02 -0600
From:         "Gary Lee, Vanagon Racks" <gary2a@TELUS.NET>
Subject:      re. rear hatch shocks

>Needless to say, loading the back of the vehicle has become a pain because >now it requires the loader to use one arm to hold the hatch up. >Does >anybody have extras on a parts vehicle or any other suggestions about how >to replace these at minimal cost?

Replacement hatch struts are relatively cheap from the list vendors. I'd just get new ones and live happily for the next 2 - 5 years.

I while back I gathered up a bunch of new and used hatch struts (gas springs as they are properly known as) and measured their force. As expected, the colder it was the less force. There was also a surprising amount of variation between brands of struts when new. And variation within the same brand. The average was about 600N.

You don't really have a choice, but there is a favorable orientation to mount the strut. When the door is closed you want the seal facing down. That way the oil in the cylinder is at the seal end, this helps the seal last longer. Some older vanagons, 1980 to ? had the fittings oriented on the van so that the seal was facing down. I've noticed on later year vans it is reversed, so that the seal is facing up. There is probably a reason for the change that I don't know of.

A cheap to free option is the old PVC tube support. I often use this myself. http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/rack/hatchsupport/hatchsupport.htm

Here are a few more options if you have additional weight on the rear door such as bikes. http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/rack/hatchstrut/hatchstruts.htm

Gary Lee http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/vw.htm