Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:27:13 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: replacing ignition cylinder
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <j.michael.elliott@adelphia.net>

> Would a good locksmith know how to correctly cut a key when all he has > at hand is a worn one?

Depends on how worn the key is. There are 7 cuts on the key, with four possible depths for each cut. A fifth or sixth generation copy cut by a hardware store goon ten years ago could be nigh impossible to gauge accurately. The key the PO of my van gave me was such an astoundingly bad one that I had to pull the door handle to get the number. If you're going to go through the trouble to have a code cut key made, it's probably best to get the door handle code in the first place. Gauging a worn dupe has too much room for error.

If you have the 4 digit number off a door handle, I can cut a key for it and drop it in the mail to you for $5. It'd be on a generic brass key blank rather than the fancy plastic headed steel OEM Witte blank like Steve has (I wish I knew where he gets 'em), but it'll be properly cut at least.