Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:53:53 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: changing to synthetic oil
Comments: To: Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>

The general rule about switching from dino to synthetic is that you should take the necessary measures to DESCALE your engine internal surfaces of carbon, sludge and varnish deposits before switching because the Synthetics are higher detergent and will be breaking loose, softening up and in general removing all the goop in your crankcase. These particles can block oil passages, stick the guts of your hydraulic lifters, clog up your filter, remove good varnish that is sealing old flaky gaskets and seals. One thing to consider is that most rubber / neoprene seals like your main seals are set from age and removing build up could cause leaks so the philosophy is to run something like MMO as part of the roll-over process to condition the seals, loosen the carbon, soften the varnish and them use a quart of the commercial Engine Flush (Gunk Motor Flush, Rislone, Siloo or other) for the recommended cycle printed on the can. I've personally run this routine just to get any Infomercial Additives out of cars I've recently purchased and I swear it works very good. On one 80 Westy the oil looked fairly clean and you could still see the dip stick marks through the oil. After about 45 minutes of running MMO in the driveway you couldn't see the stick through the old crankcase oil. After adding a quart of Rislone and running it for 5 minutes the oil was so thick the drop on the end of the dipstick would not drop off. The oil I drained was black as tar and thicker than any oil I'd ever seen drain from an engine. Even at full oil temp of around 230 degrees. I ran the same process a couple of more times using Auto Zone ElCheapo 30 wt oil in the engine with the Rislone flush and after about three sessions the inside of the valve covers were clean, the varnish was stripped off the oil dip stick, the varnish was stripped off the strainer plate and the oil pickup bell appeared to be very clean to the naked eye. I cite this as an extreme case on an 80 Westy I bought as a cripple not running. After about ten days of driving around town I dropped several valve seats that had possibly been held in by carbon deposits. But before that the engine had good oil pressure, the lifters were quiet and the van had plenty of power. I would think that if you've had your van for several years and changed the oil regularly that you should get by with just one crankcase flush routine with a quality engine flush. If after running the flush you have solid sand or dust like particles you can see on your dipstick you should revert back to the MMO routine followed by the engine flush again.

Stan Wilder Engine Ceramics 214-352-4931 www.engineceramics.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob" <becida@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, August 26, 2005 9:05 AM Subject: Re: changing to synthetic oil