Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Aug 2005 20:44:38 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Question about Diesel Westies...

There may be some small exceptions to this, but basically the diesel was introduced into vanagons and westy vanagons in 1982. Their aircooled vanagons were allegedly blowing up left and right and VW was not ready with the waterboxer. They made an 1983 diesel also, which is what I have. In the US, no turbo diesel vanagons were imported, all of them are "upgrades." And having just completed a turbo build and installation, I can tell you that it is a wonderful upgrade. You'll sail over hills at 50 and 60 that the NA diesel struggled up at 35 and 40.

Almost all parts between the two year are compatible. The 83 is said to be the most desirable because it has the same radiator and fans as the later vanagons. I don't know if the 82 had a five-speed transmission or if it was just the 83s, but that is an option worth looking for. A few other things around the car were changed between 82 and 83 but they are minor things like oil filler cap and dipstick and a few of the radiator hoses.

The "normal" diesel unit is the 1.6 NA that came in the rabbit, jetta and other VWS diesels. Parts availability is excellent, though the vanagon specific bits like engine mounts, hanger bars and diesel transmissions are not. This stuff comes up on ebay, but it's pricey but not totally ridiculous.

The vanagon use this engine mounted almost flat at about 50 or 55 degrees, and so needs a special cast aluminum oil pan of a pretty weird shape.

Thus, is you have almost any old VW diesel engine (I've bought them for $110) and you add the vanagon bits to it, you are in the diesel business...basically. It would be a easier to buy a diesel vanagon than to buy a gas vanagon and convert it to a diesel. The complications have to do with transmission and shifting, plus a glow plug relay and dash light for the glow plug operation and the engine hanger parts previously mentioned.

People who put diesel engines into waterboxer chassis usually use an aircooled 4-speed transmission, as the existing transmission would have an unusable final drive ratio for the diesel.

There may have been a few diesels sold in 84, but by then the 1.9 waterboxer was out.

The diesel is great, it's a little louder (the turbo is a little louder, the NA is a good bit louder) but soooo simple and easy to work on, great fun to drive. Great mileage, too. My TD westy gets about 26 mpg and better. Remember that just because you put the turbo engine in doesn't mean your top speed will increas about 65 to 70, You'll get to those speeds MUCH faster, but the setup is rpm limited not torque limited.

If I could afford to retrofit my 90 carat to, say, a 1.9 turbo diesel I'd do it. I would also consider putting a much-higher horsepower TDI in my 90, but they are very expensive and have also all the electronics to worry about. I like the simple all-mechanical diesel TD I have now. Karl Mullendore on the Yahoo! diesel westy list can make you a hybrid TDI-TD injector pump that doesn't need the fancy electronics.

If you're looking around for diesel vanagons, check out the Yahoo! diesel vanagon list for sure. There are folks there who can tell you a lot more than I can.

As I mentioned, I just pulled the NA 1.6 out of my westy and replaced it with a 1.6 turbo. I will start adding the intercooler next weekend, and will follow that with a Behr underdash AC unit. I had the AC compressor bracket mounted to my engine when I built it, so it installed with the engine.

Jim