Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Aug 2005 10:30:28 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: WTB: Dash Metal Panel for below windshield...1990 2.1
Comments: To: JordanVw@AOL.COM

Same thing I found out Chris. The tools are expendable because the 14.4V, 18V etc battery packs die and a new tool w/batteries w/charger is priced about the same as two replacement battery packs. My experience was with $129.00 Ryobi Drill / Screw Gun kit but even with new strong battery packs it just didn't have the power (Torque) to accomplish many jobs. The replacement batteries were around $100.00 w tax. I know I never got a 100 hours of use out of the tool in three years. If I buy more portable tools I'm going to look for something that will run from a Car 12v source or a rechargeable 12v battery pack. I've had these sturdy dependable back in the 60s and 70s that I ran off battery chargers that produced 15 amps and from standard car batteries. (No failures, they all got stolen). It's buyer beware on about any tool you buy these days. I bought a Troy Built 7.5 HP lawn mower and returned it to Lowe's within two weeks because of problems I couldn't overcome (wouldn't run after five minutes, near impossible to start when hot). Went back to the 10 year old Sears 4.5 HP mower I was trying to replace. I bought a Troy Built dual line weed whacker (line Trimmer), it was the expensive type with the option to plug in additional tools. The cost was about $180.00 in August 2004 from Lowe's. The starter cord pulled out (not covered in the 2 year warranty). Repair estimate $90.00 no new parts required. I paid $15.00 for an estimate and put the cord back myself in about 15 minutes. The clutch bound up and stayed locked (not covered in the 2 year warranty). Repair estimate $85.00 Parts $20.00, replaced it myself fro the $20.00 parts. The electronic ignition module failed (not covered in the two year warranty). Repair estimate $85.00 Parts $45.00 (bought another trimmer). I just bought a Ryobi 31 cc dual line trimmer with the accessory capabilities for $99.00 and threw the Troy Built back in the shed for spare -parts since they are virtual twins on engine, fuel tank, general working parts. I also bought and returned a Husqvarna 2 line trimmer from Sears. The exhaust came out under my right elbow and the unit was just impossible to use with such a poorly configured design. I returned it within 24 hours. If I had waited more than 24 hours to return it there would have been a return service fee. You might want to ask about Sears / KMART return policies if you're spending money with them. I swear these imported tools all look like they come from the same factory and have time bomb failures built in. Don't be fooled by quality American Names like Coleman, Black and Decker or others they're mostly China made. I've had excellent results for 30+ years with Makita tools. I'd put them on a sliding scale against Milwaukee with Milwaukee being a 10 and Makita at somewhere around an 8. I'm still looking for a durable big wheel lawn mower in about a 22" cut if anyone has any consumer reports I'd be interested in hearing from you. By the way; ElecrtroLux bought out Troy build and a few others so you could be getting the same Troy Built mower / trimmer under several brand names. Here are some of their brands: CONSUMER , Electrolux , Eureka , Frigidaire , Partner , Poulan , WeedEater, Troy Built PROFESSIONAL Diamant Boart , Dimas , Electrolux Dito , Electrolux Laundry Systems , Electrolux Professional , Husqvarna , Jonsered , Molteni , Partner Industrial , Target Don't be fooled by the Sweedish Parent Electrolux, everything on the above list is 90% made in China except the Frigidare line and Target Concrete Saws.

Stan Wilder Engine Ceramics 214-352-4931 www.engineceramics.com

----- Original Message ----- From: <JordanVw@AOL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2005 9:00 AM Subject: Re: WTB: Dash Metal Panel for below windshield...1990 2.1