Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Aug 2005 11:20:15 -0700
From:         peter scott <pscott072@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      A. S. I.  pop top conversion

Hi Everyone,

I just installed a A.S.I. (Riviera Motors) pop top on my 1990 GL from a 1982 donor. It found in a wrecking yard for $450.00. This conversion very easy compared to installing a factory Westfalia. For more info, check out; http://members.tripod.com/~wetwesties/riviera/<http://members.tripod.com/~wetwesties/riviera/>.

Briefly this is how installation went; At the yard, I took measurements, pictures, and made sure ALL parts were removed!!!! It was haul home on my yakima roof rack using two 10' 2x4s. The 2x4s were placed front to rear between the rack and the pop-top. Due to age, it needed some repairs. I found the parts at my local hardware store. Next, I measured my roof (about six times) before cutting a big hole in it with a jig saw. No roof reinforcements were cut/damaged. The pop top was set into place by two strong humans and drilled/screwed into place. Of course a few more details are involved, so take notes/pictures from/of the donor van. The project took about 8 hours plus a couple of hours at the car wash. Total cost was about $690.00, not including gas or the speeding ticket (I'm running a ticco engine conversion). It looks and works great!

More info; the pop-top weights just under 200 lbs. The section of roof removed weighted about 35 lbs. The upper bunk rails are molded into the lower section, not built into the roof like the Westy. Another possible donor is the Country Homes Campers conversion. See; http://www.countryhomescampers.com/mold.html<http://www.countryhomescampers.com/mold.html>

Peter from Woodinville, WA