Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:47:08 -0700
From:         Michael Elliott <j.michael.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Yee haw, got my solar setup installed

Under the driver's seat: one (1) Optima deep cycle battery with requisite wiring and relay to permit charging while driving, but no discharging of engine battery while camping. Entire cabin re-wired to run off cabin battery, including a couple more Thinlite fluorescent light fixtures for general lighting, and a couple of nice little halogen reading lights over the bed. DC outlets in the cabin, a nice 1kW inverter to run the morning coffee bean grinder.

With a little lighting at night, a little running of the sound system during the day (softly, softly), the watching of a DVD movie on the laptop (draws nearly 4A from its DC-DC converter) in the evenings . . . after a couple or three days, the cabin battery starts getting soft. Careful conservation of power allows usage of up to four nights with these loads, but I depend on an oil lantern for constant lighting, and have to be quite frugal about running the laptop.

So . . . need some way to stuff power back into that battery. Driving around just to charge the battery is not acceptable: I came to came goshdarnit, not drive. A little generator would do the job, but they are the Antichrist: noisy. I can hear the reefer fan outside the Westy where I camp. Even the quietest Honda generator would be a total nuisance.

So I just finished up installing my solar setup.

Two BP350U 50-watt solar panels. $290 each + shipping from Colorado Solar http://www.cosolar.com/catalog/cat_panels_bp.htm . Small enough to stash up above where the upper bunk mattress used to live. Mrs Squirrel and I sleep below.

One Blue Sky Energy 2000E MPPT charge controller from Arizona Wind and Sun, $208 http://store.solar-electric.com/sb2000.html . An MPPT controller will let me get the most amps out of these relatively small panels.

Some big honking 6 gauge wire (reduce ohmic losses) to build solar panel "extension cords" so I can plunk the panels out where the sun is (I prefer to park in the shade), and "Powerpole" connectors to plug them in with. http://www.powerwerx.com/category.asp?CtgID=1001 - I used the 75A size so they could handle the 6-gauge wire.

No, it's not a mighty system. No, I won't be able to run a 500 watt stereo all day, nor power a microwave oven. We will still need to be conscious of every amp we consume (a 3-1/2'' analog ammeter mounted at the rear of the driver' seat base gives us a visual indication of how much current we are pulling at all times) . . . but now we have a chance to stuff a charge back into the battery every day after an evening of all-out fluorescent lamp and DVD-watching madness!

And the best part? Mrs Squirrel is paying for all these bits and pieces for my birthday present!

We're going camping up at Table Mountain campground, near Wrightwood CA, this coming Labor Day weekend, for four nights. This will give me a chance to test this setup a bit. I will report back.

-- Hoping the spirit of John Wallace is with you, I remain

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") KG6RCR