Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:18:42 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Sound Deadening - Dynamat or Something Else?
Comments: To: Christopher Gronski <gronski@GMAIL.COM>

Radio Shack used to sell the DB meters, not sure if they still do. Once you're done, return it if you kept the receipt. Yeah, it's low life, but they're getting rich selling cell phones, so there.

DM&FS

At 05:55 AM 8/22/2005, Christopher Gronski wrote: >I am a few days away from installing roughly 270 sq fft of b-quiet ultimate. > >I have pulled out my entire interior (well almost - the dash is still >in) and am in the process of stripping the entire floor down to bare >metal to first por-15 underneath. Every once and a wile I get some >water on the floor and I want to ensure I don't get rusting under the >soundproofing. At a minimum ensure you have touched up any existing >rust or paint scratches. That factory paint is pretty tough all by >itself (at least its tough to get off - ask me how I know!) > >There does not appear to be much high tech about either b-quiet or >dynamat and you may get away with a cheaper brand. I picked b-quiet as >it appears to have a good reputation among the name brand and is tons >cheaper than dynamat. I will be installing two layers which is >supposed to be 3x as effective as one. > >If I had a decibal meter I would love to do a before after comparison. >I wonder where I could get one short term... > >Chris > >On 8/22/05, John Bange <jbange@gmail.com> wrote: > > > however, many say that similar materials such as b-quiet is as > > > effective, but with a cheaper price. furthermore, some recommend an > > > extremely cheap roofing material from home depot called > > > peel-n-seal........ > > > > FWIW, posters to the message boards frequented by those annoying kids > > who fill their Honda Civics with boomin' speakers pretty much > > universally agree that Peel & Seal is materially and functionally > > IDENTICAL to "B-Quiet Extreme" and is available at Lowes for a > > fraction of the price. > >