Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Aug 2005 21:59:41 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon mentioned on Car Talk today

> They might just know better. They are MIT grads who ran an auto repair shop > for fun and profit.

Heh. Really, I wouldn't put too much value on their MIT degrees. Ray says "I studied everything and really learned nothing, and I eventually graduated from MIT in 1972. I ended up with a degree in humanities and science. MIT is known for its humanities program. After all, with a name like Massachusetts Institute of Technology, you know they must have a splendid humanities department." and his brother had little to say about his college time other than to complain that it was boring, there were no girls, and the place was full of NERDS NERDS NERDS. He also failed to mention what his degree was in-- probably because it was something like "business". From the way their bio's read, it sounds like they chose MIT because it was a decent school they could attend while living at home in Cambridge. Nowadays MIT is essentially a super-elite school for technological and scientific geniuses. Historically, not so much. You have to remember that back in those days pretty much anyone with even average brains could get into anywhere. My father got into the UCLA engineering program in 1963 with a 2.1 GPA and had only begun learning English three years earlier. As for their dislike of Vanagons, it's hardly surprising. They're a couple of 60 year old palookas from East Cambridge. At this point they've got a certain way of thinking about cars, and the Vanagon just doesn't fit it.