Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Aug 2005 06:57:17 -0700
From:         jeff <ptreyesone@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      trip report--Porcupine Mtns. Music Festival

Hi everyone,

Well, I am back from my trip from Twin Cities to the Porcupine Mtns. where I attended the first annual Music Festival--this year featuring Garnet Rogers and Iris Dement.

In a word the trip was wonderful!

My route took me through Spooner and Hayward, WI (don't miss the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame) up through the Chequamegon National Forest--beautiful tree lined two lane roads with virtually no traffic. Absolutely perfect for Vanagonning.

After camping at Twin Lakes CG (hate those generators!) I traveled to the Porkies. I entered the Park on the west end and hiked along the Presque Isle river--gorgeous waterfalls just above where the river empties into Lake Superior.

I then took the South Boundary Rd. over to the Union Bay CG--this is pretty large, but about one mile from where the festival was held.

I had not been there 10 minutes when a clean 1982 diesel pulled up to say hi. Sally and Dave had two Vanagons at the CG--their other one was a clean 1980 Westy--so we had three vans.

I won't go into details about the festival except to say that it was great! The site is nice and the music was fantastic. To hear Iris Dement's voice echoing off the hills overlooking Lake Superior was memorable.

On Monday I joined Sally and Dave in a Vanagon convoy over to their place in the UP. Running in between their two vans, felt like being in a Vanagon cocoon. And my 1.9 was the horsepower champ!

After visiting awhile I headed back to the Twin Cities--the van ran perfectly the entire trip. In 700 miles I used no coolant (all new hoses, no leaks!) and virtually no oil.

All the time and expense of getting the van in shape definitely paid off--sitting there at my campsite right on Lake Superior--the view could not be better than from the front of a Vanagon!

We made plans to attend next year's festival which is scheduled for August 25-27, 2006. For those interested the website is: www.porkiesfestival.org.

Hope to get in one more trip before fall ends--

Also before I forget, thanks to all who sent information on canvas waterproofing and my loose dipstick issue--will post a summary of responses soon.

cheers everyone,

Jeff C.

1985 Vanagon Westy