Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:43:24 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: FOR SALE: '82 Vanagon w/'98 Jetta TDI Engine
Comments: To: JordanVw@aol.com

On 8/30/05, JordanVw@aol.com <JordanVw@aol.com> wrote: > > just $2500?? you cant barely even buy a used TDI engine for that.. this > is a good deal.. ben, snap this one up :<) > > chris

Chris, I test drove it last night. I am hesitant because it was very sluggish on the hills compared to my 1.9td. Gearing is simialr if not the same. I even have bigger wheels and tires. It just did not feel like a 1.9. It felt more like a 1.6td. Besides that, I stood on the throttle on Sunset Blvd and could only make 45 mph. It's almost as if it was on limp mode or a bad turbo. Boost gauge edges up but does not feel like it. The 5speed is nice thought takes some getting used to get into some of the gears. It did not behave like my other 5-speeds either. The extra tank is missing as well as the 2nd battery. It would seem like the owner's fault. He was posting what he former owner told him. When he called the guy last night, he was told those items had been removed. There are some rust holes at the base of the front windshield and at two spots around the rear most passenger side window. The are some scrapes and bruises from minor mishaps. There was a rear overflow bottle to the right rear of the luggage area. Not sure if it works because it look empty in the dark. Just below this is a hole cut out of the floor for storage. Overall I would rate the body at a 3 on scale of 10. It will need a paintjob if you fancy a pretty van. It would make a good work truck or parts car in my opinion. But then we are spoiled here in the West Coast. This is probably reasonably pristine for East Coasters. Interior is a mismatch of pieces. Stock 84 GL passenger seat and rear bench. Driver's seat is from an 80's Audi. Leather and heated but split at the seams. Matches nothing in the van. Middle bench is from an early 80's L model. Basic vinyl bench. Houndstooth interior is OK for daily for work truck. Could not see the tires very well. No hubcaps. Tires did not look impressive. Brakes worked but were a little mushy. No tach. Clock on one side. There was a mishmash of extra gauges. they were not pretty but they seem to work from what I can remember. I'm still thinking about it. I want it for the conversion pieces but the engine is highly suspect. I am just used to fast diesels. This falls under the moving guardrail category. It could be something very simple or it could be toast. I was not able to tell from the amount of time I spend driving it. If you are not a a hurry and just want a diesel, here's your van, baby. if you are looking for smooth as glass with power to match TDI, keep walking there are some issues on this van which will need some immediate attention. IMHO it is still worth the price if that helps any of you. BenT