Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:00:43 +0000
From:         Robert Rountree <syncro87@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      trip report (verbose)

trip report (verbose)

Free for the spirit of traveling. We traveled on wings of gossamer across fields of splendor.... whoops wrong dream......back to reality....with gas at over a dollar a liter...$1.20 at some spots across the northshore of Lake Superior, there were less people in general on the road. There still was fast mixed traffic... but very few VW's, total of 10 maybe over 2 weeks between Barrie Ont. around Sudbury and the Soo..saw a 60's project bus coming down hwy 17 at MRH on a flat bed. Didn't drive around as much myself. I didn't stay at any park camp grounds, so I couldn't see if any buses were hanging out there (usually are) I did visit and stay in friends yards. I'm in one right now as a matter of fact, basically we barbied, swam, paddled, and sailed (didn't get to fly this trip). Took some nice shots...I'm on a roll for flower pictures this summer. It's really great having a network of friends with boats, yards of flowers, birds, wildlife, and water... always the water....This may seem simplistic to some.. but I've just been resurrected from a winter of dark health... and I now make a habit of enjoying every day... sitting out somewhere alone in a blind (your bus) is an inspiring thing to do. Even as I've been setting here now writing, the sun is dancing down the Horizon, a porcupine just waddled by and some deer are in the lower field browsing. None of them have even noticed me... I've become invisible with wings of gossamer... oh stop it... oh yeah... the trip report.... Saw a lot of RoadTech 190's, (maybe 3 dozen) seems to be the van of choice for the road hungry in Ontario.... I'm different... I'm view hungry...the road only gets me there.... I've never enjoyed another vehicle that has the all around view of my westy's. This was the first trip where I got to really use my new head light upgrade... what a difference.. at first I thought maybe the higher bulbs would bother others...not so buckaroos... not a person has flashed me to lower my low beams yet.... but can I ever see better..and on high beam with a total of 400 watts.. the signs and hidden roadside eyes, really light up wayyyyy down the road now......the last thing I want to do is hit a dim witted moose or squirrel with a rocket in his pocket protector....Wildlife is your friend.. please friends ..stay wild........ the aux. battery system really earned it's price this trip also... as usual.... a well prepared old scout has less problems... This has been a record dry hot year... some of the things this has affected... the bugs were almost non existent by mid-July...the water was low and warm in all the lakes, and the folks on motorcycles doing the circle route were easily 3x the usual amount.... Summer nights sitting by the fire with gossamer smoke rising from above our heads to the stars, overlooking the water, driving your poor friends nuts with that amateur mandolin noise....wondering.. If a moose can have a squirrel as a friend... is it best to serve mixed nuts with root beer?

later RR