Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Sep 2005 20:21:02 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: gas saving strategies without touching a wrench
Comments: To: Wil Haslup <wil@CHARMFX.COM>

Let me add a few things to that. I just drove 240 miles round trip to Nashville and I came back with half a tank left EXACTLY, AND I was hauling 1500 lbs in the floor on the return trip. That's going to net me a lot more miles than I used to get out of this tank.

1. Turn on the AC and close the windows. Open windows turn your car into a parachute.

2. Drive like you're driving a diesel... if you don't know what that means, then just accelerate as quickly as the car wants to by "following" the RPMs up with your foot as you accelerate, winding no higher than you need to to reach torque range in the next gear.

3. Keep it at 60, not 70, with a little 65 down-hilling.

4. Keep plenty of room between you and the next car so that your stops

and accelerations are not tied to the erratic moron in front of you. Drive as smoothly as you can.

5. Use the brakes, not the throttle plate, to slow down the car. Push the clutch in when approaching a stop instead of depending on the drag

of the engine.

Jim