Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Sep 2005 10:35:27 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Maybe now is the time to fill the tank of your extra car or
              "parts vanagon"
Comments: To: jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>

Years ago I had an opportunity to be at Dallas Machine Inc. At that time they were rebuilding electric motors and gearboxes for Electric Trolley cars. You know the type, like you see in San Francisco but that run on tracks and don't have the cog or cable drives. Anyway they're the same general appearance. The cars were being rebuilt for the McKinney Street Railway, a local entrepreneur that takes tourist along a stretch of Dallas hot spot night clubs and restaurants for about a 3 mile round trip run. It sure beats walking since they restored the sidewalks and streets in that area to 1900s brick and stone walks and streets that are hard to walk on. To continue, the original Dallas cars were sold to Portugal in about 1950 and replaced with rubber tired electric busses then those were replaced with rubber tired gas and diesel busses. The McKinney Street railway bough about five of the cars back from Portugal after they had run them another 50 years. All total the cars had been run about 75 years. Now that's a good product. http://www.streetcar.org/fline/streetcars/historic/189/ http://www.railwayage.com/may01/lowcost.html

Stan Wilder Engine Ceramics 214-352-4931 www.engineceramics.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "jimt" <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2005 10:09 AM Subject: Re: Maybe now is the time to fill the tank of your extra car or "parts vanagon"