Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Sep 2005 08:14:08 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: alternator and belt question
Comments: To: Jeff Palmer <icecoldvw@hotmail.com>

Now that I am home I was thinking about changing all > the belts. With that in mind, I purchased a > replacement from a well known vendor--the belt I > received is 10X1110. > > The belt that is on there is 10X1100 and that is the > replacement listed on other vendor's websites. Seems > to me that belt I received is the wrong one--am I > right?

I just put on one of those 10x1110's yesterday.1100 vs 1110 is only a 10mm difference-- not even a 1% variance. The alternator has plenty of adjustability, so it's fine.The important part is that it's not so long that you won't be able to take up the slack when it stretches a bit.

My alternator is a Bosch AL27X--replacement > alternators (e.g., at GoWesty) are listed as > AL33X--can someone bring me up to speed on the > difference?

They're both 90amp alternators, but the AL27X is the direct replacement, the one that's preferrable. I'm not clear on the difference, but as I understand it the AL33X requires a little fiddling to work. Just wiring, I think. I bet Ken at Vanagain knows.

Lastly, I assume I have to remove both the power > steering belt and a/c belt (radiator hose runs through > the belt!) to get at the alternator belt--any hints or > tips on tackling this job would be appreciated! >

Pull that little hose off the bleeder ring side rather than trying to reach the hose clamp on the head side. Plug the hose with a small bolt or allen wrench or whatever, so when you forget and let it drop down it doesn't dribble coolant into your shoe, like it did to me. Other than that, it's just a matter of fiddling the belts into place and tightening 'em up. While you've got the alternator/water pump belt off is a good time to grab a flashlight and eyeball the .9bar oilpressure sensor connection. It's right there under and between the crank pulley and water pump pulley. Make sure it's seated all the way and the wire looks OK. When you're taking the old belt off, be aware of the connector and don't knock it loose-- it's a tight fit down there. I'd wager that many an oil pressure buzzer has gone off because some greasy tire-changer at the local garage has done just that while changing belts and didn't know enough to check once the belt was off.

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon "Keine Bange, wir holen die Zange!"