Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Sep 2005 23:27:40 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Starter - windings available?

On 9/5/05, <rrecardo@webtv.net> wrote: > > << They generally don't go bad, but when they do, the > starter is DONE>> > > Not true.

True as far as a bulk rebuilder like Bosch is concerned.

<< The labor involved in re-wrapping all that copper would be more than > the value of the part>> > > Not always True

True as far as a bulk rebuilder like Bosch is concerned.

<<There are no more Vanagons, the scale is gone.>> > > A starter is a starter is a starter regardless what it's out of.

Really? Let me know where to pick up a brand new armature for a Bosch SR17X, which they quit producing years ago.

<<I'd stop throwing good money after bad and get a whole "new" rebuilt > starter.>> > > Good advise. > But if he woud like a high performance starter without getting his eye > gouged out at Go-Westy, look for an independant rebuider beside the guy > that went out of buisness .

We agree on that.

And furthermore...... > Nyet.

Shto? Ya nyeh trebovayou nichyevo. Ti nyeh govorish po ruski? Tak dumil... You probably don't actually speak russian though...

I'm not sure where you doing your starter rebuilding shopping at, but > there is plenty of outfit's that will still rewind an armature.

Not really the point, is it. You can get dang near anything done by someone, somewhere, for a price. The question is, what's the price here?

Not really as expensive as you may think. > Sometimes cheaper than an over the counter reman. > And you can custom order cranking amp output.

Admittedly, my experience with the cost of rewinding motors is limited to some larger 3-phase monsters, so my perceived baseline may be a bit skewed. The rebuilder we use for motors charges $75/hr (plus material), and I can't imagine rewinding an armature in less than 2 hours. Just seems to me that you'd spend less buying a $160 rebuilt with known good windings. "Sometimes cheaper?" What does that mean? If you've had it done and know it IS, tell us so we're better informed. If you don't know, well...what can I say?