Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Sep 2005 08:42:21 -0500
From:         jake beaulieu <jbeaulie@ND.EDU>
Subject:      82 AC vanagon cold start problem

Howdy,

So my van has been acting strangely lately. The problem started with a strange idle. If I set the idle to 900 rpm when the van was warm it idled at about 500-600 when it was cold. Conversely if I set the idle to 900 when cold it idled at about 1500 when warm. The main suggestions I received regarding this problem were to check that the auxillary air regulator (AAR), cold start valve, and thermo time switch were wired correctly and functioning properly. I have done this and all is fine.

For no apparent reason the idle has settled down, but it is starting hard when cold. It will only fire up if I push on the accelerator while turning it over. It takes a minute or so of coaxing, but then it runs fine. I have checked the cold start valve, AAR, and thermo time switch and all are fine. I checked the injectors (freshly serviced by Cruzin Performance) and cold start valve for leaks and there are none. I checked out the AFM and Temp I switch with a multi-meter and it checks out according to the specs in the Bentley. I checked the temp II sensor and it is fine. I checked all the FI grounds through the harness and they all check out fine (freshly cleaned and coated with di-electric grease). I checked the double relay and it is fine. Of course the timing is good, spark plugs and cables are pretty new, rotor, distributor cap, and condenser are new. All vacuum lines have been replaced in the last two years. The only thing that is a little off is the series resistors. The Bentley says the resistance should be between 5.5-6.5 Ohms. Mine check out at 6.7 ohms. I don't really know what this thing does and whether being 0.2 Ohms over specs really matters. I am running out of ideas on this one. Series resistor? Malfunction in the ECU? I am game for any ideas.

BTW- 1982 air cooled Westy, Federal version (no O2 sensor), fresh Boston Bob engine