Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Sep 2005 11:23:51 -0600
From:         Richard A Jones <jones@COLORADO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: 82 AC vanagon cold start problem
Comments: To: jbeaulie@ND.EDU

Jake:

I have an '81 non-California. After you get it started when cold, is there any evidence that it was flooded? If not, check your fuel pressure and delivery when you try to start it cold.

If too much fuel, maybe my experiences will help:

Mine likes to flood when started warm--maybe half-warm heating up, or cooling down for 20 minutes after being fully warm. I always start pedal-to-the-metal and if it doesn't catch right away, it is flooded. I have a switch under the driver seat to turn off the pump and I crank til it fires, turn the pump back on and am off. It starts fine when hot.

The only time mine does this when cold, is very cold at high altitude--below 20 and above 10,000'. Then it will flood and never start until pushed and then huge clouds of smoke as it burns out and starts. Well, all past tense. The pump switch allows me to get going on my own. This is a "feature" of those air-cooleds. My '76 did it too. Being dumb, it took me forever to figure out it was too rich, not too lean.... Stumbling to that, I put in a switch to turn off the cold-start injector (if the thermo-time switch wasn't doing it) and then a switch to keep it on! My experience with the '76 and '81 when cold in thin air is that if they didn't start instantly, they were flooded. Never any trouble down to zero starting in Boulder (5400'.)

Richard A Jones Boulder, Colorado