Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Sep 2005 17:02:06 -0400
From:         Ken Lewis <kdlewis_wating_time@ALLVANTAGE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Won't Start...Again 2.1L
Comments: To: Barrett Willet <barrettw@NVENTURE.COM>

Barrett, The tach signal comes off of the coil so logicaly you would think that is a valid test of the Hall sensor. BUT, I do not believe the starter can turn the engine over at 1k rpm.

Have you checked the fuel pressure? I permanenty installed a gauge in the engine compartment for under $20. See web page. In your case I can not see how fuel pressure could be intermittent but stranger things have happened.

I tested the sensor by turning on the ignition and rotating the crank by hand. Every time the Hall fires it causes the injectors to fire, which are easy to hear. Pull out the center coil wire so the engine doesn't kick start while your fingers are in there.

I would also unplug either the O2 or TEMPII sensors the next time it malfunctions.

How are the grounds between chassis and engine? Check the voltage drop there with all electrical consumers on. Should be less than .2 volts. There is also a ground wire in the bundle going to the Hall that fails frequently, or so I have read here. Check archives. Good Luck. Ken Lewis http://neksiwel.20m.com/ ----- Original Message ----- From: "Barrett Willet" <barrettw@NVENTURE.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, September 05, 2005 2:22 PM Subject: [VANAGON] Won't Start...Again 2.1L