Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Sep 2005 16:46:29 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Steering rack leak....rebuild or trash? 85 GL
Comments: To: Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@TELUS.NET>

Jake: Make sure you email me about how you dealt with the steering shaft to rack coupler issue. That's the only thing holding me back from making the switch. Ken Wilfy I think had it figured out, but I don't remember which coupler/knuckle they were using.

FWIW, I've been driving with the small wheel, no power steering, and sorta waiting for the PS rack to seize up or something so I have an excuse to replace it with the standard rack.

It certainly doesn't take Hans and Frans to steer your Vanagon with no PS, and that's no BS!

DM&FS

At 11:15 AM 9/6/2005, Jake de Villiers wrote: >For what its worth, our 86 has has a power steering-ectomy, including the >installation of a manual rack and a big steering wheel, and neither my wife >or myself find it difficult to drive. Our 84 drives and parks easily enough. >I can't imagine voluntarily giving up ANY horsepower to run the pump! >Seeya, Jake >----- Original Message ----- >From: "Roger Sisler" <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM> >To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> >Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 8:22 AM >Subject: Re: Steering rack leak....rebuild or trash? 85 GL > > > > Yeah, Im in the same situation. I took the ps belt off and have been using > > the van without ps for about 8 months( stole this idea off the list >without > > giving proper credit to the postee). I do have bigger bicepts(sp)but I > > still cant sjpell it.Actually this is not bad driving.Only parking. The > > vanagon ps does not compare with other vehicles'ps when the engine dies.It > > actually,practically, can be used this way. As for replacement, I gotta > > wait still.Maybe forever.The rebuild kit is about $80, and is said to > > require no special tools.However, isnt it a good idea to do the inner tie > > rods at the same time($35 eachx2, and new boots $25, and the little flex > > plates(3 of them @ $15 each, and 4 mounting grommets $6 each X4), and por- > > 15 to make it look cool? My penny jar will still have to help out here, >but > > that $275 rack w/innerand outter tie rod ends and boots, and mounting > > grommets looks real good at BD.Maybe Bd will discount this for me for this > > advertisment-say $100-$200.How long will a ps steering rack last anyway? > > Anybody got any testimonies for endurance out there? Did you flush the > > fluid at anytime during it's life? > >