Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Sep 2005 23:53:40 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Standard Repair Times - Rings / Heads
Comments: To: Michael Edwards <medwards1@triad.rr.com>
Comments: cc: rrecardo@WEBTV.NET, inua@CHARTER.NET

How is the van parked? Is the engine kept overfilled? Some oil puddling is normal, especially with 3 piece rings. Many 2.1L engines burn oil from day one. Mine did and at 226K it still does about 1 quart/1,000 to 1,200 miles. Oil burning and smoking can also be worn valve guides. The intakes were once fitted with slingers or fixed seals on the valve stems. Most crack and become missing after 40K or so. Most rebuilders do not know they belong there and do not replace them. These seals, keep oil from getting sucked down the intake valve stems when the valves are open. Since the ETKA does not show it and the gasket sets do not have it, the part number for the intake valve scraper ring is 113-109-619.

Dennis