Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Sep 2005 10:24:28 -0500
From:         Sam Stone <svs3@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Advice on possible engine replacement

Hi all, It looks as though my new '85 Westy might need a new engine. The current engine has 135k miles, the cylinder has a compression of 80 psi and a leak down of 15% (the mechanic said he was expecting more leakage given the compression) and another cylinder has a compression of 105 psi and a leak down of 10%. While the mechanic believes the current engine can be repaired but given the age/mileage of the engine and the cost to repair the engine (he hasn't taken the heads off or really torn into the engine to fully diagnose the problem but I am apparently looking at several hours (i.e. 2 -3 hrs.) worth of labor to fully diagnose), he has advised to go ahead and replace the existing engine. Advice I leaning toward taking. So I have a couple of question:

1) Is it worth it to fully diagnose this problem? Or save that money for the new engine?

2) My research has me leaning toward the 2200cc GoWesty replacement engine. What peoples experience with these engines? What are some of the other replacement egines out there (i.e. Boston Bob) worth considering? I am aware for the current discussion on the Bay Window forum concerning Bob but others seem to have had good luck with him in the past.

3) Should I condider swapping the engine for a different engine altogether (i.e. Subaru) engine? How much more expensive is the option than a rebuilt waterboxer? How reliable are these conversions? I want decent performance, better than the stock engine, but I am not willing to trade reliability.

Thanks, Sam