Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Sep 2005 23:44:22 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: New Vanagon owner with newbie questions- tranny,
              engine conversions

>Another question - is it possible to replace the automatic tranny with >a 5-speed out of a Porsche 914 or 917?

A Porsche trans conversion is certainly feasible, but you'd be wasting your time unless you also fitted a decent engine.

The 901 isn't a great trans, but no doubt better than a VW item.

The 915 trans (from an earlier 911) is a good unit, and the diff can be flipped for rear-midengine or front-engine use. They are inexpensive, easily available but tend to need synchro & bearing replacement. Shift quality is poor, like Transporter shifts.

The Getrag G50 is a far better box. They are extremely hard to break, do not seem to wear and are not too expensive... so long as you look around! If you want to pay much more, they are available with LSD and reverse synchro (Turbo G50/50). Supposedly the shift quality is greatly improved over the 915.

When upgrading the trans you will need adaptor axles (from Weddle or Sway-A-Way) of the correct length and and for a G50 you'll need to decide what to do re CVs. G50s have larger-diameter 930 CVs; you can fit smaller VW/Porsche CVs if you fit adaptor drive flanges (Weddle), use inner 930 & outer small CVs or fit adaptor driven flanges (Weddle) to the van and use all 4 930s.

You will also need to fit the Porsche gearshift (make sure it matches the trans!), as the VW item won't work. The correct Porsche starter will be needed.

My own SVX conversion uses a G50/50 with German adaptor axles and outer CV adaptors from Weddle. The engine & trans are mounted but the conversion is a long-term one!

As far as management systems is concerned, if fitting a Subaru EJ or EG engine you can do the wiring yourself, get a wiring loom from Kebbedy or other vendor or you can forget this and buy an aftermarket system from Link (my choice, but if you buy in the US you'll pay twice what you'd pay to buy in NZ) or Australian Motek (spelling?). The Link can be had with a dash-mounted display from which you can select program options, and this is the route I will follow.

I am using a Kennedy flywheel and adaptor plate (same plate fits any VW or Porsche trans prewatercooling). Engine & trans mounts were done by the local convertor. Images can be seen at: http://akciddento.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=thumbnails&album=41 -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut

HUMANITY: THE ULTIMATE VON NEUMANN MACHINE

DEMOCRACY: RULE BY THE LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR