Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Sep 2005 11:43:14 -0400
From:         Brent Weide <brent_weide@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Advice on possible engine replacement

I feel strongly that your comment regarding the "one-off" nature of a Subaru EJ22 conversion is incorrect. If the converting party follows guidelines from KEP (Kennedy Engine) and/or has one of the available third partys perform the conversion (H&R Motors, Tom Shiels, etc.), the result will be a volkswagen van with a stock subaru engine. Any vw dealer or service shop can work on the van as a whole. Any subaru service shop can work on the engine. If they say they can't, they don't understand what's involved. The subaru engine is left intact, including the Electronic Control Unit, so the engine is running the same regardless of whether it rests in a Vanagon or a Subaru Legacy. Having converted my first vanagon, I have a good idea of the labor and skills involved and feel that anyone with the interest can likely tackle it, given the time, determination, and workspace. You should try to drive a Vanagon which has been converted to Subaru EJ22 power (2.2 liter flat four engine between 1990 and 1992). They are not rocket ships but do feel stable and appropriate. Like what the engineers should have done in the first place. Yes, you can pass and get up hills without leaning forward, but you won't be taxing the rest of the vehicles components because of hotrodding. And, you boast that you have increased horsepower/torque by 50% while increasing fuel efficiency by 25%?

Note: I've got some decent info on my conversion on my website if you're interested (url below).

Okay, sermon over. Have a great weekend, Brent http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/