Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Sep 2005 14:13:37 -0400
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Adjusting 2nd Gear band in Auto Trans

The second gear adjustment is not covered in the archives. I looked about a year ago and could find nothing. I think this is because an inch/pound torque wrench is needed,and few have one.Sears has one for about $70. It does have uses around the vanagon other than the band.Maybe this justifies buying one.Maybe not,as this is about what having a professional do it will cost.The process is easy. First loosen the lock nut. Tighten the hex screw (8mm?)to double the final torque measurement,about 76 inch pounds. Back the hex screw off a turn .Now retorque the hex screw to 43 inch pounds.Now back the hex screw out 2 or 2 and 1/2 turns exactly and set the lock nut. I forget the exact back out.Better check the Bentley on this. Does anyone know for sure, and can they place this figure here for the archives? Cant use a foot/pound wrench as this is about 4 or 8 foot pounds. Too small for that wrench to measure.Access to the hex screw is limited. The PO of the van I did this to had stripped the 8 sided hex opening on the screw.It was now round.I had to remove the screw and replace it. The screw can be backed off about 1 inch, and then the second gear band on the inside that the screw actuates will "drop out of place".So you can be safe by just not backing it out that far. If this does happen,the repair then is to remove the valve body and refit the screw/band to where they are supposed to be(on the inside).