Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Sep 2005 11:21:27 -0700
From:         Jack Cook <john.cook58@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Radio Problem
Comments: To: "Skarloken, Donna S." <DSkarloken@REEDSMITH.COM>

Donna,

You may have more than one problem. Solid state radios typically don't wear out like the earlier vacuum tube/vibrator models. More likely some other problem.

(1) Check your antenna condition and its cable connections. If it looks ok from the outside, pull the grill and see how the cable looks at the base of the antenna itself. Broken? Corroded? With the radio on a station, push & tug on the cable wherever you can get your hands on it, like at the antenna, and see if the reception changes. I think you can pull out the ash tray to see the connection to the back of the radio. Unplug and replug a couple of times to clean the contacts.

(2) Does your cigarette lighter work ok? I believe this is on the same power circuit as the radio (fuse #3, 10A), so if you have a degraded connection at the fuse block, the cigarette lighter will also not work properly.

(3) If you are able to get at the back of the radio to check the antenna, also unplug/replug the power connector(s) to clean those contacts. There may be a separate connector for the radio lights. (Need proper schematic to check this.) Of course, the lamps internal to the radio may have failed - if so, that's a specialty job & probably not worth fixing.

//Jack '85 GL