Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Sep 2005 02:08:16 EDT
From:         George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Accessing Rear Brake Lines above Syncro Transmission
Comments: To: ccc1@VOLNY.CZ

In a message dated 9/9/05 10:49:23 PM, ccc1@VOLNY.CZ writes:

<< Unbolt rear of driveshaft (mark it first). Unbolt engine mount crossbar, lower very slightly with floor jack. Support transmission with 2nd floor jack, remove two large mounting bolts, lower as much as possible. Leave halfshafts attached if possible. Re-assemble in reverse

Is this plan of attack feasable? Any warnings or suggestions? Thanks in advance! >>

I have not had to replace the rear brake lines on a Syncro, yet, but I've dropped their trannies. What I would do is . . .

1/ Undo the driveshaft.

2/ Snatch the forward engine case lifting lug and hang it from a beam across the engine bay by means of a very long eyebolt (load-rated) through the beam held by a nut. Then undo the transaxle mount and lower the forward end of the engine slightly by unthreading the eyebolt nut. For every inch the forward end of the engine is lowered, the nose of the transaxle will drop more than two inches.

I would NOT undo the engine mount crossmember because the engine mounts are resilient enough to lower the PTO end of the transaxle a few inches without damaging them. Depending on how much the transaxle has to be dropped, the axles might have to be undone, which is no big deal if done at the transaxle flanges.

I think this is an easier and more certain approached than balancing the engine/tranaxle on two floor jacks, plus there are no floor jacks to inhibit your free movement while under the van.

George