Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Sep 2005 21:23:42 -0700
From:         Michael Snow <mwsnow@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: michelin agilis tire pressure
Comments: cc: Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM>, jfpoolio@gmail.com

Again, Larry, your data for these tires is incorrect. The correct numbers are:

Model: Agilis 61 Size: 185R14 Load Range: 99/97R Load Index: C Max Load: 1710 lbs. single 1610 lbs. dual Max Inflation Pressure: 54 PSI

Model: Agilis 81 Size: 185R14 Load Range: 102/100R Load Index: D Max Load: 1875 lbs. single 1765 lbs. dual Max Inflation Pressure: 65 PSI

The information on Tire Rack's web site is confusing. Tire Rack sells only the Agilis 81 in 185R14. This is the tire that Jonathan is looking at on their site.

The information on your website at http://www.roadhaus.com/tires.html for both of these Agilis models is incorrect. The above data is from the actual tires, about 50 feet from my front door.

I don't know where you're getting the load table data from (I was unable to sufficiently schmooze the lady on the phone at Michelin), but it is a great resource if it is accurate. Do you have load tables for the Agilis 81?

-- Michael Snow 1987 Syncro GL camper 1986 GL 1982 Westfalia 1.9D

Larry Chase wrote: > Jon, > > No problem ... glad to help. > > If you are interested in getting your Van weighed ... call a local truck > stop or scrap metal yard and ask about scale availability. Usually costs > $5.00 - $10.00. Try and get it weighed by the axle so you have a good idea > of how the weight is distributed front to back. But it should be about 44% / > 56% front to back. > > BTW .... your Westy isn't a Diesel is it? > > If so .... I need to use a > > The tire you ordered is: > > Model: Agilis 61 > Size: 185R14 > Load Range: 99 > Load Index: D > Max Load: 1875 lbs > Max Inflation Pressure: 65 psi > > I'd recommend the following air pressure as a staring point. > > Front: 45 psi > Rear: 55 psi > > Then adjust "slightly" up or down for load, ride and handling > > If interested, here's how I got to this recommendation. > > The original Equipment tire for the 82 Westy was: > > 185R14C/6PR inflated to 43psi - Front & 55psi - Rear. > > Please double check your Silver Sticker and make sure I have the right data > above. > > The specs on the OE tire are: > > Load Range: 99 > Load Index: C > Max Load: 1710 lbs > Max Inflation Pressure: 55 psi > > The load inflation Table for the OE Tire is: > > 35psi 40psi 45psi 50psi 55psi > 1190lbs 1320lbs 1450lbs 1580lbs 1710 lbs > > So at the recommend inflation values of: > > 43psi = ~1400 lbs > 55psi = 1710 lbs > > The new tire > > Model: Agilis 61 > Size: 185R14 > Load Range: 99 > Load Index: D > Max Load: 1875 lbs > Max Inflation Pressure: 65 psi > > The load inflation Table for the Agilis 61 Tire is: > > 35 psi 40psi 45psi 50psi 55psi 60psi 65psi > 1142lbs 1271lbs 1396lbs 1519lbs 1708lbs 1790lbs > 1875psi > > So following the OE info I'd inflate the Agilis 61 tire to: > > Front - 45psi = 1400 lbs > Rear - 55psi = 1710 lbs > > > good road, > good adventure, > good life, > > > larry chase > > www.roadhaus.com > www.roadhaus.com/shops.html > www.roadhaus.com/tires.html > > -----Original Message----- > From: Jonathan Poole [mailto:jfpoolio@gmail.com] > Sent: Saturday, September 10, 2005 7:09 PM > To: roadguy@roadhaus.com > Subject: Re: michelin agilis tire pressure > > > Hey Larry, > > It is very kind of you to gather and provide such useful information to me, > thanks. > > The tires are called 185RR-14 Michelin Agilis D according to the tire-rack > site where I ordered the tires. I hope that is enough information on them > as I couldn't find the "51 li c" or "61 li d" tags on the site. > > I guess it would be interesting to weigh the van,, it has got to be pretty > heavy, any suggestions on where that can be done?? I bet the tire guys will > know so I will ask them when I go in for the install.. > > thanks again > > Jonathan Poole >