Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Sep 2005 10:27:07 -0500
From:         Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: rattle INSIDE engine

This is follow up from my inquiry last weekend. Jeff came up with that answer that fit my problem, but responded via pmail. I'm still quite puzzled as to what I did wrong to make the cam bearings wear so quickly. (it's been making this noise for at least 40k miiles, still bothers me though!) Rattles don't usually self heal. Kolbenschmidt bearings are a good idea. I used 2 sets of Glycos to get a full thrust bearing.. I'll know more when I do an autopsy, but it's still running, so hopefully not anytime soon! Al Brase Jerome bound!

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: RE: rattle INSIDE engine Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 17:48:18 -0700 From: Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@vanagonparts.com> To: Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@mchsi.com>

Al,

I'm glad the mystery is solved, but it sucks that the bearing is worn out. The thrust bearings may have worn prematurely due to the use of an unmatched set of thrust bearings. Just a slight difference in the machining of the two thrust bearings you used could be the problem.

If you split the case, try using the Kolbenschmidt cam bearing set. They come with a full set of matched thrust bearings.

Feel free to share with the list. I figured you'd get 18 other responses to this problem and didn't want to clutter up the list any more than necessary.

Cheers,

Jeff www.vanagonparts.com

-----Original Message----- From: Al and Sue Brase [mailto:albeeee@mchsi.com] Sent: Monday, September 05, 2005 5:13 PM To: Jeffrey Schwaia Subject: Re: rattle INSIDE engine

Bingo. that's it. I can move the cam gear back and forth about 1/16" with a screwdriver thru the distrib drive hole. Come to think of it, it sounds like a similar noise in an old Ford 300 six I had in a cube van. Boys at the Ford dealer swore it was a rod. I knew better. it went away with full load. Some old timer finally clued me in. It made his day too. Unfortunately this ruins mine.(Not really- nothing is changed but my knowledge! ) The thrust surfaces of the original bearings were shot, too. I bought 2 sets of Glyco cam bearings just to get a full set of thrust surfaces. I think it wore away rather quickly. why would it do that? (60k mils on it now.) BTW, you did not respond thru the list. Do I have permission to cc the list with this? Thanks, Al Brase