Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Sep 2005 11:00:14 -0500
From:         Sam Stone <svs3@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Advice on possible engine replacement

Thanks for the input. At the moment, I am leaning toward the following options:

1) R & R what's there ... new heads maybe?? Anyone know anything about the GoWesty heads vs. the straight out of the box AMC heads? With 131k miles, I have no idea what will actually be found once the heads are removed. Even after repairs, I could face a future with unknown engine reliability not good since part of the rationale for getting the thing is to get to some of the more out of the way places. This is potentially the cheapest but also the problem prone solution.

2) A Boston Bob or GoWesty 2.2 rebuilt wbx. Bob seems to have a rep for reliable engines although the extra HP, torque, MPG, and abliitly to run 87 oct. makes the GoWesty engine pretty attractive. Another major plus for both of these engines is they are repairable via ma and Bentley's and/or repaired a skilled vanagon mechanic anywhere and use mostly stock parts, excluding the GoWesty pistons... correct?? Theorically, anyway. The biggest variable here is quality of the installation.

Most other options were eliminated for one or more of the following reasons:

1) Too expensive. I don't think I can afford to absorb losing the core charge at this time.

2) Too exotic, custom fab involved, and/or too difficult to work on. I can't image the challenge of find someone to work on a Subaru or TIICO conversion in say Bismark, ND or Kamaloops, BC.

3) Fuel requirements. In this a day and age and over the coming years, it make no sense to me to limit my fuel choices ... gas, particularly premium, is only going to get more expensive.

I think am going to get a second opinion from a different shop just to cover all my bases. I just brought this van and thought I did good research and due diligence ... I guess not.

Thanks, Sam

P.S. I knew, given the age and miles of the van, major engine work was probably in my future. I was just hoping for later rather than sooner (read: immediately).