Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:29:17 -0400
From:         Dennis <guskersthecat@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Carrying a large outboard in a Vanagon (plus some NVC
              outboard motor 2 stroke vs 4 questions)

If you're trailering a boat, just leave the motor on (secured in the down position if safe to do so), tanks secured in the boat. That's how most folks here do it. There's no way I'd have it in the van.

I've gotten pretty good at servicing the collection of outboards owned by friends and family. Dennis H is correct in that the two strokes are much simpler...they're pretty much carbureter(s), reed valves, and an ignition pack. If the lower end is serviced yearly, and proper oil mix etc maintained, they can last a very long time.

However, they suck gas, are pretty gross polluters, are louder, and you always need to mix the gas if they're not oil injected. The fact that you have twice as many power strokes over a 4 stroke does make them lighter..but at the cost above. Obviously a four stroke is much cleaner/efficient in that the intake and exhaust charges are kept fairly disparate. It also has the advantage of a sealed crank case and a pressure fed oiling system. Either motor's achilles heal reamains the rubber impeller water pump in the lower end. Considering David Suzuki's views on the planet, current fuel prices etc...the four stroke's my vote. Truth be told, I'm an even bigger fan of sail power :-)