Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Sep 2005 09:15:46 EDT
From:         George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: REPLACING OIL PUMP
Comments: To: SDeMocko@FDSMFG.COM

In a message dated 9/12/05 4:01:44 PM, SDeMocko@FDSMFG.COM writes:

<< At warm idle I have just above Zero and at 4000 rpm I have about 18 psi. I was wondering if any one has done a write up on replacing the oil pump. >>

From what I have seen of them, oil pumps seem to live forever. Before you pull the pump, you could try lapping the pump cover. The cover might have some grooves worn into its inner face from the action of the pump impellers. While a lapping plate is nice to use, you do not need anything elaborate for the lapping other than a dead flat surface to work against. A machine tool table with some wet-or-dry abrasive stuck to it will work. Even a piece of plate glass, the thicker the better, and some valve grinding compound will get you to where you want to be.

George PS - Speaking of junk aftermarket parts: The one time I bought a replacement VW oil pump almost ended in a disaster. After I had picked up the pump, I was stuck in traffic. The only book in the car was Last Exit to Brooklyn and since I didn't fell like becoming depressed, I decided to take a look at the oil pump instead of reading. I pulled the pump from its box and as I turned it over in my hands, I almost shit whenever I peered down into one of its ports and saw it completely sealed off by casting flash. As I probably would have popped it in without a second glance whenever I got home, I thanked the Good Lord most fervently for that traffic jam.