Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:16:22 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: interesting lifter thinking?? 1.9L still a problem child
              (update)
Comments: To: Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

Stan,

Every new engine that I had experience with ALWAYS had metal in the filter and/or screen and on any magnets. No matter how well measured, machined and fitted, the moving parts are not perfect and the parts are going to "wear in" to each other by rubbing off material. A closer fit is actually acheived this way. As you well know one will actually have better compression on an engine after the wearing in period (break in) than before the engine is ever started.

The best example of this that I have ever seen was on an aircraft engine that had chrome plated cylinder barrels and grey iron rings installed. Pre-run compression was so-so, and then the engine was run on a test stand. The engine didn't acheive temperature and the rings glazed. What a mess. Low compression, high oil consumption. Oil drained, engine flushed and reoiled, rings were replaced, cylinders honed to remove any glaze, engine run at high loads with reduced cooling air, and the cylinder temps went way up - not overheat but at the top of the green on the gages, in about 20 minutes the temps began to drop, and then steadied about mid-temp/mid green. The engine break-in period was run to completion and a compression test done. Compression was right on for a new engine. Oil was drained through a paint strainer then flushed with solvent, and in the bottom of the screen was all kind of metal. Very fine filings, mostly ferrous, because the magnet would pick them up. The engine was oiled again, run again, and drained again. This time the oil was kept to be put back in the engine. There was no metal that second time.

Modern filters will get metal most times. I like to cut my filters, flush them, and see how much metal is accumulating with each oil change. I also like to keep tabs on how much is ferrous, brass, and babbit. It's a magnet and visual thing, but it gives me some idea of the status of things. Over time there will be a gradual increase in the metals with each oil change. One more means by which to keep track as to how things are internally.

regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver