Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:29:41 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil pressure in 1.9

> I have an 85 Westy that I overhauled recently. I am wondering what is a > decent oil pressure. When I start out cold it is 70-80 psi, but on the > highway at 3800 RPM's it often falls to 25 or 30 PSI. Is this something > that I should worry about?? It kinda has me freaked out, given the fact > that I overhauled it myself. >

What grade of oil are you using? What sort of overhaul did you do? That sounds a little low for a fresh rebuild, but not at all bad for just a top-end job. Cold oil will always give you higher initial pressure readings. At operating temperature, 25-30psi is pretty solidly in the "green" range. My old engine, shortly before its non-oil pressure related demise, could barely manage 18-20psi at 4000rpm with 20w50 at temperature, and I'd say it was doing OK-- maybe inching into "yellow". The oil monitoring system on the 2.1's sensor for the over 2000rpm range doesn't activate unless pressure is under .9bar(13psi), so if you're showing at least 20psi, you're well within the range of "safe", at least.