Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:41:38 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil pressure in 1.9
Comments: To: Don Williams <williams@FIRE.BIOL.WWU.EDU>

When you did the rebuild, did you measure the bearing saddles and align bore the case? Did you inspect-measure the case for straightness-wear? Especially wear the case halves meet at both sides of the bearing saddles. If not, then you have low oil pressure do to a worn out case. A healthy engine should be able to maintain 10 psi/1,000 rpm at normal temperature. Normal temps are key as the oil will get hotter than the coolant under heavy loads or at extended highway speeds. 4,200 rpm for a few hours can get to oil to 260 and above while still having normal water temps. Especially on the 1.9 as it doesn't have an oil cooler?

Back in the beetle days, VW considered the case to be disposable. For many years, VW rebuilds had new cases. Rebuilt heads, ground cranks, machined rods, but new cases. The 1.9 still has beetle style bearings. The 2.1 are slightly improved. I installed a factory rebuilt engine a few weeks ago. The heads were from 89 but the case was a brand new casting. Maybe VW learned again! I have to say it is running great.

Dennis