Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:06:02 -0700
From:         Randy Bergum <organslave@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: REPLACING OIL PUMP

The lapping concept is right on. We use a thick plate of glass and 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper to prep phospher-bronze organ reeds. Takes out surface imperfections like nothing else, and it works with all sizes, from 3/4" to 8" reeds. Of course the reeds are not flat to begin with, and you need to use "English" while drawing them across the paper to avoid making a flat spot.

For an oil pump cover, you might want to start with a coarser grit and work up to 600 or 1,000, and like polishing a telescope lens, rotate the piece early and often to randomize the wear patterns.

Randy Bergum 1990 Carat Fullerton, CA