Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:44:51 -0400
From:         Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@WHISPLLC.COM>
Subject:      Re: NVC: what's a good non-running bus worth?

Well just 2 years ago i picked up a 7 passenger 85 that had almost no rust with the motor taken apart in boxes and had sat for 4 years. Had loads of new/rebuilt parts on it. the motor spun a rod bearing and bent the crank ever so lightly. it had a 12k mile warrenty on it from vw and at 14k spun the bearing. he was into it way more and could not / would not put more money into it so i picked it up for 300 bones and he towed it to my house 30 minutes away. i pulled every last nut bolt and screw off of it and cut out the dog legs front and rear then dropped it off for scrap metal. the parts have been a life saver. loads of new parts (actually 4 years old since it sat dormant for so long. of course came with free 1000 pack of Yellow Jackets and stunk of dead rodent. i found the dead mouse in the headliner near the vents and behind the rear door panel over the wheel arch. i also got a running 84 vanagon given to me if i would take care of it and use it. i would low ball and see what comes of it. it will cost a small fortune to put it back on the road. if you have the time and money have a ball. if not the trans is a dune buggy core. and the motor who knows. c-ya good luck Jonce

>Jim

>fwiw I bought an '81 Westy in similar state, had been sitting for >several years, for $600 cash a year ago in San Jose California. It was >a gamble, didn't know what parts were good -- no battery, no keys, just >"as-is" -- so I may have paid more than I should. I had to put a new >aircooled motor in, but the auto tranny was/is fine. If I'd known then >to look after a long-sat motor it might have been resuscitated without >engine failure. It has no significant rust and is clean inside though >the outside is quite weathered. Milometer reads about 80,000 which I >think is true. I've probably spent $5,000 on it -- motor, tires, seats, >shocks, etc., etc. (and etc. and more to come!)

>Alan

>Jim Felder wrote:

>> I inquired about a bus (looks like a 74 or so, it has the flat engine >> and two carbs) that's been sitting where I take my dad's computer to >> get repaired. I was told that it was owned by a woman who inherited it >> from her grandfather, and she asked her boyfriend to handle the sale. >> He is supposed to call me tonight and is said to be ready to take any >> reasonable offer. >> >> That's my question: what does such a thing go for in most areas of the >> country? >> >> Engine quality unknown >> Transmission shot for sure >> Interior: in the rear cabin, nonexistent, no seats, but perfect >> hardboard headliner of some kind either original or expertly installed. >> Interior: front, seats good, all dash stuff intact (knobs, levers, >> covers, etc.). No mats anywhere, cheap aftermarket door panels. >> Body: excellent, no dents (to speak of) or rust, everything straight >> and opens and closes properly, If it's supposed to stay up when it's >> opened (hatches) it does. >> All glass is good. >> One electrical inlet appears on the outside about the C pillar and near >> the window line. >> >> Any opinions would be appreciated. >> >> Thanks, >> >> Jim

Jonce Fancher

57 Single Cab 66 Sunroof Bug 66 Variant Squareback 71 Sunroof Bus 75 911S Sunroof 84 Vanagon "Godfried" 85 Vanagon Westi 2003 10 Passenger Sprinter

Fancher's Upholstery Inc. - www.fanchers.com Not-A-VW Club- http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransont3/notavwclub/