Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:23:51 -0600
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: Take a look at the new T-5 Camper.
Comments: To: Martine Boudreault <martine.boud@VIDEOTRON.CA>

The rules for canada and the US are very similar in most areas. the biggies are meeting all current EPA and NHTSA rules.

VW has several engines that do not meet current EPA rules and most are diesel engines.

The new T5 has never been crash tested for compliance of internal safety requirements.

These are just two areas that could spell doom for bringing it in legally.

Cheating is expensive if caught. A local guy is being fined by the US customs and EPA, for starters. Also the vehicle was confiscated is being ordered destroyed.

Was told that there are probably a few hundred vehicles a year that are illegally imported and put on the roads. They catch a few dozen usually from tips, and a few dozen more from insurance claims that get investigated. (donšt file a claim on your miss-registered-identified vehicle) donšt do it in a heavy air controlled state either.

One common technique used locally is to have a mexican or canadian citizen that owns one of the restricted vehicles but is working or stationed here in colorado sell the vehicle here in the US to a colorado resident. The vehicle was legally driven into the US for use while the owner was temporary located in the US and allowed to bring in a vehicle for private use. After an extended stay the owner registers the vehicle locally for several legal reasons. The title rules are tight in colorado but there are still loop holes for that one to slip through occasionally. With the vehicle registered locally it can slip through if it passes our minimal inspection rules and air test.

jimt