Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:48:10 +1000
From:         Stephen Overmyer <S.OVERMYER@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: Radiator install time

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:33:30 -0400 From: Dan Brideau <dan@HOBBYETC.COM> Subject: Radiator install time

Greetings!

I've got a predictable spew of coolant comming from the front of my '85.

I'm assuming the radiator is leaky.

What's a realistic time for replacing it? Few hours? Afternoon? Whole Saturday?

Thanks in advance,

Dan Brideau http://www.skidweeb.com/

Hi Dan,

As it happens I did mine just a couple of weeks back....a couple of hours is about all it should take but give yourself a little more leeway just in case.....Murphy's law and all that. In my case, the one I replaced was the original one and it lasted just over 13 years before developing an occasional drip. With summer approaching here in the southern hemisphere I got into it early before putting any more stress on it. I doubt it would have failed catastrophically like a hose but why chance it...

The radiators generally go where the plastic header tank (on the right hand side) is crimped on to the radiator. Not worth any attempt IMO to repair...just replace it...but be aware there are good German ones at additional cost or cheaper ones that are more of a PITA to line up bolt holes etc for the fan and so on. I went with the German one and avoided all potential hassles...

Replacement is not a big deal...despite the rather cramped looking space into which the radiator resides, the removal and subsequent replacement is very straight forward. It does however really help if you can do this on a hoist otherwise you need to get the van up at the front some distance off the ground to have enough room to lower the radiator...maybe 36" ? You will also appreciate the help of an assistant if possible. My wife loves these sort of jobs ;-)

Remove grills and disconnect wires from the thermostat (that connect to the fan on the back of the radiator)

Drop spare wheel and then remove the two 10mm or so wire pieces that go from the spare wheel hinges over the spare and fit just below the radiator. The clips on the hinges can be a bugger to remove but you'll work it out. Take note where they fly to when you finally get them off ;-)

Remove wires (in a block) to the fan.

Remove from radiator hoses and get out of the way of the coolant that spews forth. Try to catch it in something cos glycol shouldn't be allowed to enter any drains, creeks waterways etc.... If the hoses are in good nick and supple, consider re-using them. If they look dubious, perished or of undeterminable age, consider replacing them while you're down there...so to speak.

Remove the two brackets that hold the radiator up in place.

Lower radiator with fan attached from vehicle, taking care not to damage the cardboard pieces (if you still have them) that help direct air thru the radiator....I think there's 3 from memory.

Disconnect fan & housing from the old radiator....and as they say, installation is the reverse of the removal...

This is obviously a good time to consider replacing all your coolant since most of the old stuff is now out of the van anyway.

The process of bleeding the radiator has been covered many times here before and opinions vary almost as widely as they do on tyres so I'll leave that one alone for now...

Oh yea, also expect to find another leak somewhere before too long as your cooling system now fully pressurises and you discover the next weakest link in the system... If there's anything else I've accidentally omitted, someone else is sure to chip in....

Cheers, Steve O NSW Australia '92 Transporter WBX Kombi '00 Transporter Double Cab '03 Transporter Double Cab (work truck) '78 Land Rover Series 3 109 Soft top ute (ex-Aust Army)