Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:49:26 -0700
From:         Joseph Fortino <fortino1@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: gas and the little green guys - was Re: Area 51 trip

I agree with you, i ride a bike and all these " new cars " puke tons of carbon out and first hand since i smell them as they go by all the time.* everyday *

if a VW comes by i really don't get a whiff of the carbon as much, but dang some of these trucks kill me, also why do people still speed around?? WTF.

-----Original Message----- From: Wil Haslup <wil@CHARMFX.COM> Sent: Sep 14, 2005 1:44 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: gas and the little green guys - was Re: Area 51 trip

a few things came up in a private off shoot of this and I thought I'd mention them...

Wil Haslup wrote: > Roger Sisler wrote: > >> Dont glow, you may not return. > > > I'm thinking one of those tricked out auto light kits that lights up the > underside neon green might be worth investing in before a trip like this? > > ; ) > > ...the little green guys might mistake you for one of them and not > bother you.

I stopped at the post office the other day in mine. Mine is really beat looking with primer spots and rust around the windows but it runs fine after lots of work to fuel system, CV joints, etc.

An older guy driving a 98 Pontiac said something about it being pretty old...(newest car I ever owned was 9 years old when I got it!) I said '80, looks bad but runs fine. He grunted and said he thought his was old and something about it dumping carbon out the back.

It seems like as fuel prices go up people are getting snide about big old vehicles...thinking they pollute more and use more gas. People are just getting mean about prices, at least here in Maryland.

(Me I'm leaving the Vanagon parked unless I have to go any real distance...hoping things stabilize around $3/gal. before too long. What I'm really dreading is the natural gas prices this winter!)

I didn't want to get into a big discussion but it's hard to convince some that my air cooled Vanagon gets around 23-25 even under best conditions and that emissions controls today aren't cleaning things up much more than what's on mine.

There's loads of tiny little vehicles today that don't get much better mileage than that with bigger displacements. Emissions controls are essentially the same...EGR, cat. converter, computer controlled fuel and ignition...cat. converters still don't even help much until they get warm so everyone is dumping more NO2 on short trips.

I'm thinking, maybe a sticker on the Vanagon with the light kit advertising use of Anti matter as fuel would do the trick...they'd have to smile.

Wil

-- http://www.charmfx.com/

"She's supposed to be some kind of consultant. Apparently she saw an alien once." - Aliens (1986)