Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:26:51 -0400
From:         Marlan Blair <marlanblair@ALLTEL.NET>
Subject:      Throttle Valve Switch

I'm hoping I phrase this properly. I have an 84 Vanagon, 1.9 I bought it running very poorly, exhaust hanging off it, etc etc

over the last month or so, I have rebuilt the exhaust, plugged in every hose and switch, with the exeption of one. There is a yellow connector (two slots in it) hanging out of the wiring harness, on the right side of the motor,(if you are standing there working on it) its low down the side of the engine , it only comes out of the harness about 3 inches, and its below the airfilter. There is nothing close to it that I can see to connect it to. After hours of pouring thru the bently manual, I deduced that the square plastic switches that ride next to the throttle body, and clearly shown in the Bently guide are missing. That didnt help me with the wire. There is no way that the wire that i have hanging could reach that far. Then, after looking for the hundredth time at the image in the Bently manual, I see a reference for later in the model year versions that were produced with a single switch. That switch is at the very bottom of the throttle body and looks like a flat washer with a lead coming off of it. Im guessing that the guy I bought my vanagon from removed it, or, maybe in working on the throttle body at one time, just didnt see a need to replace it.

If there is a way to tell from the serial number of my vanagon whether it was built late enough in the model year that It may incorporate that one switch setup, and you can help me tell, it would maybe send me in the right direction. The serial number is VW2YB0253EH023109

The old girl is running much better, Timed a little better, idles a little better, has a bit more power, but the gas milage sucks. 12 maybe. I'm thinking this switch has something to do with it.