Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Sep 2005 20:37:26 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: 87 Westy Coolant Temp Puzzle
Comments: To: "John W. Parkins" <JParkins@RTHCORP.COM>

I would check the little voltage regulator chip on the back of the instrument cluster. Make sure that little heat sink, (the ground connection), is screwed in place. It is possible the chip is allowing full battery voltage to the gauges. In this case, the fuel level will also read high. The t-stat should be holding things at ~87C. This is ~187F. So at 210F, your engine is running hot.

Dennis

My gauge temperature sender went bad (open circuited), and temperature always read cold. Replaced the sender. Now at normal idle, the gauge reads past the LED and almost up to the "hot" tick mark on the gauge. I don't believe that the coolant is hot for the following reasons:

1. The radiator fan doesn't turn on when the needle is reading very high, yet turns on when I'm idling in hot weather (as I would expect).

2. The voltage at the ECU from the ECU temperature sender looks normal. (I have wired a breakout box to the ECU like a Digitool.)

3. I inserted a thermocouple (temperature sensor) into the reservoir tank (not the overflow tank of course) and it reads 210 deg F. Now, this temperature may be a little high, but not high enough to read as high as it does on the gauge.

I've replaced the sender 3 times, once from a different manufacture. They all behave the same. I checked out a different gauge, and it behaved the same as the one I have.

I've searched the archives many times. I only found 2 references to the "normal" operating temperatures for the coolant; they suggested a range from 200-210 deg F. Can anyone else confirm this?

I see from the Bentley wiring diagram that the low level coolant electronics are connected to the gauge temperature sender. Could a faulty low-level coolant circuit cause my problems?

I've been working on this for some time, and it's got me stumped. Any suggestions?

Thank you very much. Have enjoyed the list very much.