Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Sep 2005 18:05:09 -0700
Subject:      Re: The fuel of choice of the world?
Comments: To: Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>

Robert, I think the USA is the only country in the world where Diesel is more expensive than gasoline! Somehow I think if you go where the truckers fill up it would be a lot cheaper than a retail outlet.

Here, Diesel is 99.9/L, Regular is 118.9/L, Premium (varies) is 128.9/L Basically and traditionally Diesel is 20% less than regular gasoline in Canada

My TDI Syncro TriStar gets 8.7L/100km, My 2.1L Syncro Westfalia gets 12L/100km. Basically I can go about 40% farther per liter of fuel.

Cost to drive my TDI for 100km is $8.69 Cost to drive my 2.1 for 100km is $14.27

So comparing it to the original motor that was in my TriStar, I driving almost twice as far per dollar. Now the fun part.

2.1 torque 117ft.lbs @ 3200 TDI torque 149ft.lbs @ 1900

With swapping the injector nozzles (circa $200 CAD) and increasing the boost slightly you are getting about 230ft.lbs of torque AND a slight gain in fuel economy. So, for me, the really big thing is that I do not have to down shift to go up hills any more. Plus most hills I can do at the speed limit or higher in FORTH gear. Just not possible in a 2.1L So, it costs less to drive a Diesel and less fatiguing on the driver too.

I think the other reason why people like the TDI is that you can run SVO or BioDiesel in it. Which is basically green house gas neutral as the plant that made the Biomass consumes the same amount of GHGs you produce - so you can feel better about driving than that Prius owner as you can go camping in not burn fossil fuels at the same time.

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel-Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models

Due to the large volume of email we receive, PLEASE include previous emails when responding. This will allow us to read the complete dialogue in one message and will result in quicker and more accurate responses.

Ok- SO everyone is saying they want a Diesel -in your Vanagon.

Diesel sells in the Seattle area for $3.12 a gallon right now.

I use regular gas @ 2.72 a gallon.

I get about 24 mpg if I drive under 60 mph.

Your Diesel Vanagon gets 30 mpg, or about a range of 480 miles per tank.

My gas Vanagon gets 384 miles per tank at 55 mph.

My full tank of 16 gallons costs $43.52.

Diesel tankful costs $49.92

Diesel saves $6.40 and gives about 48 extra miles for that cost.

If I fill a gerry can with $6.40 in gas, I can extend my range to 432 miles.

SO even at the price 0f $3.12 a gallon, you still can get an extra 48 miles over the gas .

48 miles , $6.40 in savings , each tank.

$50.00 a tank- sounds cheap , doesn't it?

When I got my Vanagon in 1995 it cost only $17.00 to fill the tank.

How do they afford it? The world , that is?

Robert

1982 Westfalia